Monday, September 12, 2011

A Case of The Septembers - Part I

September is always a fun time for entertainment enthusiasts. All of their favorite TV shows return for new seasons, exciting new ones debut, and the action ramps up at the cinema as movie studios start churning out their Oscar season hopefuls. I definitely come down with a case of The Septembers each year, which is a good thing. So, my next three blog posts are dedicated to those TV and Film selections that I'm most highly anticipating.

TV Season 2011-2012

My list of TV shows I'm eagerly awaiting includes 6 returning from last year, 7 new entries, and 1 experiencing an unlikely resurrection after an 11 year hiatus.

Returning
Fringe - Not exactly sure why I've hung onto this sometimes intriguing, sometimes lackluster sci-fi adventure for so long, but I guess there's no turning back now. After a real wackjob of an ending to its third season, it will at least be interesting to see where Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson and company go from here.

Big Bang Theory - Hands down, the funniest show on TV the past few years. When I originally saw the pilot episode, I thought it was hilarious, but also figured the series would suffer from being a "one-joke show." But, the writers have managed to keep the gang of geeks play video games/hot neighbor thing fresh after four years,  and will hopefully continue to do so at least through 2014, which is when the show has currently been renewed through.

Modern Family - Only because of the aforementioned Theory, this is, hands down, the 2nd funniest show on TV. Great cast, great writing, although the whole thing about wrapping up many of the episodes with a schmaltzy, "this is the theme of this episode" voice-over, gets a little old sometimes.

Harry's Law - I was somewhat surprised that this show got picked up for a 2nd season. It was a mid-season entry last year, and I don't know anyone else who watches it. But I think Kathy Bates is awesome in the lead, and so far the show has a good balance of drama and humor. Not sure how long this one will be around though.

The Good Wife - This series is in danger of devolving into a drippy, forbidden love story. Their version of the Ross and Rachel, "Will they or won't they" scenario, with the Will and Alicia characters, is just about as boring as I could imagine. The show made some serious missteps in my opinion, last season. But, I'm definitely eager to watch the showdown that occurs in the wake of Kalinda's betrayal of Alicia ending Season 2. Juliana Margulies (Alicia) and Archie Punjabi (Kalinda) are two of the best actresses around. I'd probably watch Margulies in just about anything.

The Walking Dead - I'm not so much eagerly anticipating the return of this American Movie Classics series, as I am just wondering what's going to happen. Once I find out, I'm not sure how much longer I'll stay tuned. In fact, as I'm writing this, I'm starting to wonder if I want to continue watching at all. How do you create a show, run it for only 6 episodes, and then make viewers wait nearly a year for Season 2? This better be damn good.

Beavis & Butthead - It's official. After months of news releases, interviews with Mike Judge, etc., October 27th has been announced as the 2011 season premiere date for the long-absent MTV animated series. This will mark the first time I have been excited about turning on MTV in 11 years...the last time a new episode aired. It's about time these fartknockers came back. This is gonna RULE!!

I run down my list of new shows to watch in A Case of The Septembers - Part II...

No comments: